How to Configure your Wi-Fi Router
It is not as complex as it sounds to set up your new Wi-Fi router. This complete guide will lead you through the entire process of initial step-by-step configuration of your Wi-Fi router.
Once you have located and purchased the router that you want, all you need to do is to follow these instructions to set them up.
Part 1: Hardware connection
Connecting your router to the modem:
- You must connect your router to the modem so that you can share your internet connection with several devices. Place your router near the modem in practise.
- Connect the Ethernet wire to both the modem and the router.
- On your router, you should attach the modem to the Internet port/WAN.
Connecting your devices to Ethernet:
- Connect your computer, TV or Video Game console straight to your router over Ethernet for quicker and better connections. No more configuration actions are required.
- You must connect at least one computer over Ethernet to adjust your router settings, if not all of your devices.
- Once the router settings have been updated, you can disconnect the device later.
Part 2: Set Your Router
Finding the IP address of the router:
- To identify the router's default IP address, check at the label or box it entered.
- If you can't locate it elsewhere, look for the Web model of the router.
- On the device linked to the router, open a browser through Ethernet.
- Enter the router IP address and search.
- Your browser immediately attempts to connect to the router's setup menu.
- Entering your password and username:
- You first need to access the configuration page in order to update the settings.
- To achieve this, be on the IP address of the router.
- Enter a valid username and password.
- It can be found on the router or on the documentation.
Wireless Settings Adjustment:
- You will see a main menu or screen after you log in to your router.
- Usually the Internet section is left to default.
- Enter a personalised name for your router in the SSID in the wireless section.
- Choose the WPA2-PSK security method since it is the most secure and secure.
- Enter a complex yet rememberable password after selecting your security mechanism.
- Once all adjustments are finished, click Apply to save your settings.
- The router takes a few of minutes to reset after which your router is activated.
Blocking Unwanted Sites:
- You can restrict your network from accessing your devices from unwanted websites.
- To prohibit unwanted sites, go to the Security/Block section of the router.
- Type the sites' domain names or keywords to prohibit them.